Friday, November 21, 2003

PREPARING FOR THE HOLIDAYS


I've been organizing and clearing out stuff to get ready for Thanksgiving. This year, I decided it will be at our house. Uncles Mike & Ron have been invited. I did this, in part, because I wanted to make sure that I stayed on track with the organization. Not having a job at the moment has made it easy to procrastinate on housework. After all, I going to be here later, won't I? Then it doesn't really matter when I do it, does it? Thinking like this is what leads to a house that is chaotic.

I've spent most of the time clearing out the 1st floor. Today, I was going to continue that job, but I read the FlyLady email, and it said that you should always start with a clean sink. As I started to clear the counters and sink, I realized that I had no place to put anything. So, I decided to clean out just one drawer. I chose the middle drawer on the right of the sink. When I opened it up, I realized that it had become a catch-all for odds and ends - beverages, tea, measuring cups, napkins, plastic bags, storage containers, etc. After I took everything out, I vacuumed it out, then cleaned it with LOC. I sat down to catch up on email while it dryed.

I threw out a lot of the stuff that was in there. Anything without a lid that was still good went into a box. If the lid gets found in the next week, it can stay. Otherwise, it goes.

As I'm cleaning, I'm discovering more that needs to be done. Right now, I'm just going to add those tasks to my list, to be done when I catch up on the regular tasks. The only tasks that take priority over the regular clean-up are the ones that will give me better storage.

No comments: