Thursday, October 07, 2004

BLAST FROM THE PAST


I was in class today with the 6th grade students, and the subject of children's books came up. I had to admit that I never read Charlotte's Web, which they found hard to believe. I further stated that I hadn't read Dr. Suess as a child, with the exception of Horton Hatches An Egg.

I remember reading about the egg-hatching pachyderm, and the absolute delight I experienced in repeating (many, many times, I fear my poor mother had to hear):
I meant what I said, and I said what I meant, an elephant's faithful, 100 %


To this day, I remember the comfort I took in that phrasing, the way that someone could promise eternal loyalty, and be counted on to deliver.

In some ways, that's the appeal to me in Bush. Unlike too many Democrats, he can be relied upon. That's why I finally turned my back on the Democrats. Although I supported Clinton for an overly long time, I finally had enough of the lies, evasions, and double-dealing behavior. I was ready for a Horton.

No comments: