Wednesday, January 12, 2005

31 YEARS AGO TODAY

31 years ago today, I had one of the wildest days of my life. I got up early, like I always do, ate and dressed, and sat around for a few hours waiting.

Waiting to get married.

Before I finally said "I do", my maid of honor had to be sewn into her dress (the zipper didn't hold), 18 inches of snow had to be cleared off our front porch and sidewalk (never trust the Farmer's Almanac), I had to substitute "shit-kicker boots" for my dress boots that had gone missing, and my mother nearly had heart failure worrying whether my husband-to-be was ever going to show up (he always runs just-a-little-late).

The excitement didn't stop there. I forgot my reading (found a substitute in the missal), helped dry out a few guests (including the groom's grandmother, normally abstinent), lost (and found) my husband a few more times, and headed off to the honeymoon.

The day after, we watched the Superbowl with friends (what a honeymoon!).



A popular disk jockey from the movie American Graffiti, which premiered in 1974.

No comments: