Monday, April 03, 2006

I am woman, hear me roar...at least my lawn mower does

I finally cooled down after mowing 1/2 my lawn - the part just around the house, where it's most important right now. I need to clear out the branches in the back before I tackle that part, lest my new (OK, it's new to me) mower break.

It's a riding mower, used, but in good shape, and about 1/2 to 1/3 the price of a new one. I never used one before, and was concerned that I would be able to manage it. I can't used the gas-powered push mower in Cleveland - I haven't the strength to pull the cord to get it started.

But, I had absolutely no trouble with this one - I really loved usiing it. It's kind of fun - a little like using a go-kart. What would have been a job taking 1/2 a day was done in about 2 hours - probably less, once I get more practice with it. I also took extra time clearing out the dead branches first.

The nice thing about this rural part of South Carolina is that it cools down at night. Only in the late summer is it a little muggy and hot at night. All the agricultural plantations and farms around here provide some cooling off. And, there's a lot of water, so the green stuff stays healthy without a lot of watering.

I'm going to try to get more pictures of home before I return to Cleveland this weekend for the Easter break. I doubt I'll have time to post them until I hit Cleveland. Can't wait to see everybody!

No comments: